background

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Savoring my 20s

splash of color 29 candles yellow cake


This is my last year in my 20s, I really don't mind birthdays or getting older, but it's weird to think next year I'll be starting a whole new decade. Something about 30 makes me think I should feel more like an adult. I'm not sure when that will ever happen maybe it's when I hit 30, I'll let you know when I'm there. You would think that having a child, and living in another country far away from your family would make you feel like an adult. There have been adult moments in my life, like when we talk about financial stuff like our retirement savings and investments, buying furniture, or a car, but for the most part I guess it just hasn't hit me yet. I may just always be young at heart.

I love to make big deal out of birthdays, and my family usually made a big deal out of birthdays too. When we were little we were woken up to our birthday song, I can just hear it now, "This is space command to zoom, all systems are go for a message to Erica." Marvin's family is more low key about birthdays, there is usually a cake and a present, but it's not a big production (I like that too). It's been a little strain for both of us when my day comes up. Marvin's always worried he's not going to do something I like, but he's learning what will make the day special, and I'm learning how to communicate what would make it special. This year he did well! I got to sleep in, which is worth it's weight in gold. I love sleep! Marvin also made breakfast, it's the first time in our almost 8 years of marriage where he's ever made pancakes. They were yummy, and did I mention he did the dishes too? Now that's Love. What I loved about my birthday this year was that about every 3 minutes all day long Calvin would say, "Happy Birthday Mommy."

A friend of Marvin's showed him this little hole in the wall restaurant that serves something other than the normal restaurant foods here, but you have to ask for it, they don't tell you they serve it. They have some middle eastern dishes like hummus and falafel that are a wonderful change from the ordinary restaurant foods typically served here. It was YUMMY. After our meal we went back to our apartment and enjoyed the fruit pizza Marvin made and we ended the evening playing games with some friends. It was a lot of fun, and I'm looking forward to seeing what this last year in my twenties brings. In Calvin's words, "Bring it On."

No comments: