Monday, May 22, 2006
Friday, May 12, 2006
We have been here over 3 months now and the other day we evaluated how our life has changed. Here are a few things that have changed:
- We are ready to entertain with the ring of our door bell, and we always have a quick meal that can be thrown together for guests.
- We shine our shoes every time we leave the house, and notice when they are dirty.
- Grocery shopping is done over a period of days as you can only buy as much as your hands can carry and often times you have a list of items you need to buy elsewhere because the store was out of that item.
- We drink alot of tea.
- It is true that if you get one task accomplished a day you are lucky. We have learned how to realistically plan what a person can and cannot get done in a day. For instance yesterday I planned to study and work on the computer at the office. Well the power was out therefore only studying happened.
- We have learned how to cope with having your water shut off for the day. Trashcans are great for holding water, and we always make sure they are full.
- We have learned how to tag team tortilla making.
- Days of prepackaged meals no longer exist, cooking from scratch is the name of the game.
- When attempting to speak this language we are use to receiving blank stares.
These are just a few ways our life has changed.
Even though we are moving tomorrow we thought you might enjoy seeing pictures of our infamous apartment. As you can see it really is a nice apartment, but the things behind the walls are the problem. The only room that is left out is our office, primarily because we had already started to pack this room before we took pictures.
Thursday, May 04, 2006
The director of the school we work at, gave us a tour of a school he helped start. I have been given a tour of a school before but this school was nothing like what I had seen before. The school looked like a Museum. Everything was carefully placed, and the place was perfectly manicured, which is very ODD here. The pictures I have included are of the pool room and the art room in the school.
Last week we were able to visit an orphanage in town. They had a spring celebration and each class had a program to show the little darlings off. This program included many songs, a little dancing, the teachers brought out puppets, and played simple games with the children. The teachers did an excellent job at entertaining the audience and the children. We were surprised at how well behave the children were. All the children at this orphanage are under the age of 3 and the class of 18 month- 2 year olds (as seen in the bottom picture) were sitting on chairs patiently waiting their turn to participate. The top picture was taken at the end of the program where all the children were given a gift of goodies. All of them took them back to their chairs immediately, sat down and enjoyed them.