background

Friday, February 20, 2009

Cilantro Bean Burgers


As promised here are some great meatless recipes we've tried recently. Both recipes have my husband and my toddler's approval and are easy on your wallet. Want to find more great recipes? Visit Grocery Cart Challenge for more recipes.

Cilantro Bean Burgers $1.47 (including guacamole)
From Country Living
(makes 4 burgers)
for one burger: 177 Calories 4 g. fat 6 g. fiber 8 g. protein

1 c. canned/cooked pinto beans (rinsed and drained if using canned) .25
1 c. canned/cooked black beans (rinsed and drained if using canned) .25
1/2 c. shredded carrots .25
2 T. Minced fresh cilantro .05
1 1/2 t. lime juice (I used lemon) .01
2 small garlic cloves minced .05
1/2 t. cumin .02
1/4 t. salt (add a bit more if they aren't canned) .01
1/4 t. pepper .01
1/2 c. soft bread crumbs (toast a piece of bread and then run it through the blender, it's a great way to use up those heals nobody ever eats.) .06
4 T. egg substitute (or two eggs) .22
3 t. corn meal .02
3 t. canola oil .03

Use a food processor and combine the first 10 ingredients, cover and pulse until blended.
(I just mashed it together with a potato masher since I don't have a food processor.)

Stir in bread crumbs and egg substitute. Refrigerate 30 minutes.Shape into 4 patties and sprinkle with cornmeal. Heat oil in pan then add burgers. Cook 4-5 minutes on each side until lightly browned. (It took me a bit longer to get them browned probablly around 7 minutes each side.)

Serve with guacamole .79 or salsa (free Christmas gift from Dad).
Also served with Chips .25 Pear slices .30 Quesadillas .50
Meal Total=$2.52

4 comments:

DarcyLee said...

I love bean recipes and my family does, too, but I have to space them out because they aren't as enthusiastic about them as I am. I like this one and will put it in my recipe file. Thanks for sharing!

Sandi said...

Do you really mean 2 patties?

Erica said...

Sorry the orginal recipe made two patties, I just forgot to change it when I transfered it to my blog from my cookbook. Sorry about that.

The Fat Dietitian said...

They look incredible... Thanks for sharing!