background

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

10 Kilometers

After training in 4 different countries I did it, I ran a 10K!

one of the many parks I ran in during training
 I ran the entire thing and faster than my usual slow pace and didn’t finish last, which was my goal J. 

As always the first 25 minutes are the hardest for me.  Usually minutes 22-25 I am dying but then I somehow find a good grove after I get past the pain. The rest is pretty easy.  I even passed several people at the end of the race.  At the start of the race when everyone was running at a crazy fast speed I had my doubts that I’d finish before anyone, but I know my pace so I wasn’t tempted to run like the wind, like everyone else did.  Maybe I should have, I could have finished a little faster, but knew how fast my legs ran and my goal was to finish without stopping.

 

I love my mom but she’s not the best photographer, but she tries and for that I'm grateful.  She snapped a picture of my finish…..or I should say my shadow’s finish.  J  Thanks mom, I guess I was just too fast for you.

 

She did however get Marvin’s finish
 
and Calvin’s 1 mile finish. 
 Calvin was pretty proud that he got 3rd place in his first race ever.
 
My dad even ran the race, on his birthday and placed 1st in his age group!  It was a fun morning and so thankful that I was able to take part in it this year.

 


*If any of you would ever like to run a 5K or 10K race and aren’t in shape or just had a baby like me.  I promise you the Couch 2 5K and Couch 2 10K is the program to use.  I used a free app, C25K & C210K, but I also used the program before I had a smart phone, by writing down the minutes to walk and jog on my arm and using my watch J.  It’s amazing how well it works when I started running in February I never thought I would be able to run for 1 mile let alone 6.  I promise it works and the beautiful thing is that it is only 3 days a week.  Try it, you won’t regret it.  Now Marvin and I have set our goals on a ½ marathon someday.  We’ve both really enjoyed running again.  I’ve loved getting back in shape and the quiet I have to run without the boys.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I keep meaning to ask you about the 10K and I keep forgetting! I'm so proud of you for running it! I tried the C25K and my knees were killing me…I'll have to start it back up now that we're here with my new shoes (but let's wait until the weather isn't in the 90s!). Then we can run together some day! I'd love to do another half someday!