background

Monday, June 28, 2010

Finally SUMMER PRODUCE

We are enjoying summer produce right now! Hooray for fresh fruit and veggies that don't cost an arm and a leg! I have big plans for all this summer produce including: making some jams, applesauce, canning some tomatoes (diced and whole) and salsa!


I got things rolling a couple weeks ago with 10 jars of freezer strawberry jam, there is nothing better than homemade jam, it's so yummy, we've already finished one jar already. I'm really excited, now we'll see how much energy I have. I'm really excited thinking about being able to open up a jar of tomatoes and throw them into a recipe (we can get them here but they are about $3.00 for a small can, a price I just can't justify). Thankfully fresh local produce comes in stages, so that I'm not bombarded all at once. I have high hopes to get some cherries in the freezer this week. If you have any other ideas I'd love to hear them. I'm also tossing around the idea of canning some spaghetti sauce, from what I've read I'm a little intimidated, has anyone done this before?

No comments: