background

Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Addition & Subtraction

Soon and very soon we will be the proud owners of a freezer. I can't tell you how long I've wanted one, especially overseas. I've had dreams of doing once a month cooking but our little freezer could hold maybe 3 meals, it's that tiny. I've been plugging away at a menu that requires no use of the oven when needing to serve the meal. I'm all about keeping our house cooler this summer, why turn on the oven when you don't have to. The meals I've tried to pick out are ones that can be made by crock pot, stove top, or reheated in the microwave. Once a month cooking is going to be so handy this summer, especially since we've bumped our language up to 5 days a week. I think I have a cooking buddy lined up too, I'm really excited.


What really isn't exciting is the reason why we are becoming the owners of this freezer. We bought it from some dear friends, people we look up to, come to with questions about EVERYTHING, and are seriously our family here. They are moving on, although we're excited for their new journey, it's hard to say goodbye. It is fun that we will have reminders of them around our house, ways that they will still be a blessing to us from so far away. I think of this often as I pull bread out of Jamie's space bread box, or use Laura's salad spinner. Even though these people are not working with us anymore we're grateful for the opportunity to work together for a season. Our lives are better because of it!

2 comments:

DeWeese Fam of Four said...

Erica
I have a bunch of great recipes from our last OAMC with April. We tried to do the same thing: meals that can be heated quickly in a crockpot or microwave (or thaw & reheated for lunches.)I'll send you a facebook message about it!.

Susan said...

I have to say, I lusted after the organization in this freezer...I am lucky if I know what is for supper at 5:30 pm!