background

Friday, May 14, 2010

May Day in the Mountains

Our friends invited us to join them on a trip to the Mountains to celebrate May's birthday. I was a little apprehensive because at the time I was still feeling like I was car sick all day, the windy roads up the mountains did not sound appealing, but since I had a couple of good days we agreed to go with them.


The drive was fine, we didn't have to pull over, PTL and so thankful to be spared from that embarassment. We arrived a little after 7:30 p.m., and got checked into the hotel and then around 8:30-9:00 headed outside to start a fire to grill our shashlik, the local kebabs. I'm so very thankful I ate before we left because I've actually had an appetite lately and would have been starving. It was dark as we went outside and of course the lights by the little shelter weren't working, it took about 30 minutes for the staff to figure out how to turn them on. In the mean time Calvin was having a blast throwing things in the little stream that ran along side the shelter. The water was freezing and I was so paranoid that he would fall in, especially since it was dark and we couldn't see anything.


Once the guys got the fire going he enjoyed watching that for a while, then it was back to throwing things into the water. Now shashlik takes FOREVER to make. You need good hot coals before you can even cook the meat, then the meat takes a while to cook. So by the time they were ready to eat it was 11:00 p.m. Calvin and I were both were so exhausted.

The next day we woke up had breakfast in the cafe at the hotel (a malt-o-meal type cereal and eggs, very good) and piddled around before finally driving up to the mountains. Calvin and I only went up one lift because I was already having some headaches and well I'm a little paranoid about this pregnacy since I had some complications with Calvin.
He loved playing in the snow before everyone else went up the lifts and then we just waited for everyone to come back. We ate at a little cafe then went back out to play a bit. Unfortunately since there were cafes everywhere there was also broken glass in all the good snow playing spots that were out of the path of the skiiers coming off the run. So it was slightly stressfull.
Thankfully the rest of our group arrived and May, her daughter and us headed back to the hotel for nap time. The rest of the day was beautiful. We enjoyed hanging out at the hotel just chatting, which I loved.
You may be wondering where Marvin was, well he was skiing, for the first time ever. It was quite a surprise as we didn't think he'd be doing this, but thankfully he brought his ski bibs. Now this isn't the best mountain to learn on and it didn't help that they went clear to the top to start. Marvin's only instructions were as followed, "If you want to turn do this. (then Ute showed him how to move his skiis)" Then Ute proceeds to say, "Okay go ahead". It was an adventure for sure. The next time Marvin goes skiing he's bringing someone who can give him a little more instruction.
On the way home May and I were talking about the next time we do this we'd leave the kids at home. I agreed wholeheartedly!!! We had barely started moving on our journey back home and I had a little boy slumped over sleeping hard in my lap. Overall it was a fun but EXHAUSTING trip, so glad we went!

Can you guess who went skiing???? Guess who also forget to bring sunscreen????

No comments: