background

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Stuff

This weekend we came back home after being away and found out our house had been broken into. Our computer, DVDs (mostly Calvin's), Marvin's shoes, my jewelry box from when I was a little girl were stolen. As we went through our house with the police officer it was an odd feeling knowing someone had gone through all of your stuff. Taken a glimpse at who you are and didn't care a lick. My heart just breaks for those who feel the need to steal. I can't imagine what life must be like for them. I hope they come to know the true hope in the world, that it's not about the stuff.

Marvin reminded me of a great quote from a book we read this summer. I don't know the quote exactly but here is what it's about "You can take anything you want (talking about working overseas), but take in in your hands and not your heart. If it gets to your heart, that's when trouble sets in.

There are some things my heart is sad about. documents we didn't back up, jewelry that carried a lot of meaning, but ultimately it's just stuff. It can be replaced. It was a good reminder now as we pack up a few suitcases and head back over to the other side of the world.

Just a side note the police think it was some punk kids because they also stole our 24 packs of coke. Seriously? They also took our remotes but left the TV. Punks.

Thankfully all of our documents are accounted for and our passports were still right where we left them. We were certainly protected. So if you don't have insurance get it, it really stinks without it. Trust us!

2 comments:

Marie said...

Again, I'm so sorry for you guys. It's amazing that you could already see the good in such a bad situation. I'm not sure I could do that...

:(

Lacey said...

I am so sorry Erica! I can't imagine the emotions you are going through. Please let me know if you need anything.