background

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Thoughts on Homeschooling

I recently attended an evening session about Homeschooling where they shared this message by Voddie Bauchan. It has been something both Marvin and I have talked considerably about recently. To be quite honest I'm really excited about it, but also a little nervous, thankfully we'll have a few years before Calvin is surpassing my knowledge.

I'll always remember when I went into labor early and we called another expat nurse to get some counsel on what to do. She told me that God entrusted this baby to us and even if it was nothing it's our responsibility to protect it and He'll be with us the entire way. Those words have stuck with me, she's such a wise lady.

I do think that it is our responsibility as parents to protect and guide our children the Lord has entrusted to us. Something that stuck with me through Voddie's message was this concept, "when we send our children to Caesar, don't be surprised when they come back Roman soldiers." Wow I had never thought about education that way. I feel I was reminded once again the importance of training up our children in righteousness. It's such a big job, but I long for Calvin to develop a Biblical worldview and to be able to make his own decisions based on this.

I have no desire to enclose him in a little bubble because I feel that is very unbiblical. But how is he to be salt if he never learns how to be salt? There is still so much I'm trying to process in regards to homeschooling. It's been challenging for me to view my chosen profession, the one I spent several years studying for to be seen in a different light. I haven't really come to any clear decisions other than this is what God is asking our family to do. It's been good to process this before the Throne, just like our sweet friend told us He'll be with us the entire way. What a great God.

I'd love to hear from you guys and your thoughts. I highly encourage you to listen to Voddie's message. It will make you think.

4 comments:

Marie said...

I'm sure with your amazing background in early child ed. you'll be an awesome homeschooling teacher!

Carrie said...

I agree with you 100% about kids not being able to be salt until they learn how, and children going to caesar and coming back roman soldiers. that is always what i think about when people talk about children needing to be salt in the public schools- they are just so impressionable, and there is such a need to conform in even the youngest grades. They are just forming their world view at that age- how can they tune out so much of what they are exposed to in public schools? Unfortunately, I don't think I am cut out to be a homeschool mom (i know- weird, since i am a teacher), but I am just not feeling that call. I think we are just going to have to do some serious research into good christian schools. I know a lot depends on each individual child though too. You are an awesome mom- its great to have you to look up to :)

Kim for the Kings said...

keep us posted on your journey. though i'm not at this stage in any way, i'm curious to see where the Lord takes you with it. :)

Amanda said...

I'm sure you already know my thoughts on homeschooling. :) Have you read Voddie Baucham's book? Family Driven Faith? It is AMAZING! I really, really appreciate his frame of mind. I was just telling John yesterday that I need to re-read that book to help get me motivated for school next year. I was nervous about it too but the nice thing about homeschooling is that it's very flexible. What it looks like for me, may not look the same for you! If you ever need any help just let me know!