background

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

River Run Fun

We had so much fun Saturday morning at the River Run. I really didn't know how things would go. My jogs last week went well and I was feeling good, but since I haven't been in a race since field day in grade school I didn't know what to expect. It was fun to be around other families and be motivated by all the joggers out there to keep it up. I was able to keep a nice pace the entire race and finished in 23:12, but we had to walk the first couple minutes because there were so many people. I had aimed to finish under 25 minutes. Next up a 10K in July. I'm a bit nervous about this one because it's July and it's hot in July. We'll see how the training goes the next month and a half. It seems I'm going to have to drag myself out of bed in the mornings to run before it gets too hot if I am really serious about this.

Pre-Race


Post Race, Even Calvin got a Medal (Marvin humored me and put it on for a picture)
Other News!
My dad is in the hospital again. He went to KU med in KC Friday for heart surgery and they discovered other problems during surgery. His heart stopped, they had to give him compressions and shocked him once before his heart started again. Now he has to wear an external pump until after he gets his transplant to help normalize the pressure in his lungs. Right now he has some issues with this pressure being too high and his heart is working overtime because of it. Calvin and I had planned on being there for the surgery but thankfully my mom called and told me to stay put because of flooding. Sure enough I turned on the news and parts of the turnpike were closed as well as 254 that takes us to ElDorado. We certainly wouldn't have gotten very far. So we went up in the afternoon on Saturday. It was a long day but good to see my dad.

Here are a few pictures of Calvin enjoying the bouncing thing in the Kid's area.


He Loved it!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Way to go! I'm always amazed at people who run marathons because I.am.not.a.runner. :) And a great way for you are Marvin to do something together! I'll keep your dad in my prayers.

Sherry said...

Nice work on the running!!! I remember doing 6 mile warmups for soccer together back in the day, if only I could still do that.

Praying for your Pops. Love you!