background

Monday, September 13, 2010

So you speak English.....c'est gentil

Marvin and I usually have reverse culture shock traveling to this country.  People are so helpful, patient and nice.  It's really strange at first, because for the most part when you enter a store in Nineveh they either follow you around straightening every box/thing you touch, or think you are completely wasting their time.  The first day I was here I stopped by the store and the man in front of me asked me if I wanted to help putting my groceries on the conveyor belt, and I was only buying a handful of items.  I'm sure I probably stared at him because I was in shock at the offer.  Back home in Nineveh I'd just get scolded for carrying a bag of groceries while pregnant.

Today was another one of those moments that just made me thankful for the friendliness here.  It also made me laugh.  I needed some blush and lip gloss so I was browsing through the selections this store had and the sales girl came up to me and rattled off something I of course didn't understand, except that they were having a sale.  So the sweet girl tried her best to communicate with me what the sale was but to no avail.  So she went and got her friend, she started speaking to me in German, but I don't know German so I asked her if she knew English, then she went into French.  Cracked me up, because I clearly said the word for English.  Thankfully some of my high school and college french came back because I actually understood what she said.  I knew that would come in handy one day and I'm glad I still have a tiny bit of it tucked somewhere in this brain of mine.

No comments: