background

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Excellence

I had the opportunity to go to a women's tea here in the city we are in. It was such an encouragement to my heart. Something I really needed. I was surrounded by so many amazing women, some of whom have traveled this road a while and have so much wisdom for us in this season of life.

The speaker was able touch the surface of Proverbs 31 in a way I had never really thought much about. How do I a woman, be a woman of excellence in a culture so different from my own? I've really been thinking about this a lot recently and if there are any parts of my own culture that have been in the way of relationships. She touched on many aspects of how different our lives are, learning new cultural ins and outs aren't just so we can blend in, or so we don't step on any toes, but can if I refuse to embrace this culture how hurtful it can be to friends.

Another area that I really became more aware of is my attitude toward certain cultural things that really bug me. Honestly I think one will never love everything in a culture. In fact I can think of several things about American culture that bug me. I've really been convicted to be cautious in how I speak of these things in our home. We have a sponge of a little boy, who pick up these things and honestly he's doesn't know the difference. In his world right now waiting in a line don't exist, mayo is a food group, black is not just a color but the color all clothing should be, and stopping work to visit with a friend takes precedent. I would hate for my words to shape his attitude of the culture we live in.

So there you have it that's what's been going on in my heart recently. I'm excited to see how Father shows me more areas in my life that need to be molded.

No comments: