background

Saturday, December 05, 2015

Ringing in the Second grade



Calvin is continuing with Russian school this year.  


Second grade is much more difficult than 1st grade.  His literature homework kills me, seriously it’s hard and don't even get me started about poetry, I can barely hang with poetry in English, a second language....not so much. Plus he goes to school on Saturdays, which has took some adjustment.


I recently read an article about how the system here focuses on the past and emphasizes the classics, poetry, etc.  While the west teaches for the future, I felt that was a good observation.  

So it’s a daily battle when it comes to homework.  Mainly because Calvin is such a perfectionist and they write in pen so when he makes a mistake, he falls apart because there is no erasing it and it’s devastating when you get anything less than a 5, the equivalent of an A.

But I am glad he’s continuing.  He really likes his friends.  His teacher is amazing and he loves being a part of his class.  So it makes the daily battles worth it....most of the time.  Pray for us.

No comments: