background

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Dairy-O


After having Micah I developed a huge sensitivity to dairy products.  Thankfully I can still tolerate certain yogurts and kefir but cheese, butter, and milk are just pure torture to my stomach.  I tired some enzyme replacement pills to help and well they didn’t.  I tried the pills you take before you eat dairy and that ended very badly.  Like feeling like I was hit with the plague.  So I’ve basically been avoiding most dairy since May.

I’ve had to change how I cook a bit and adjust my taste buds a bit, but it was much easier than I thought it would be.  At first it was tough since we don’t have all the fabulous replacements you can find in America, but I’ve been thankful for a few things I’ve found here that have been key ingredients in many dishes, like coconut milk and avocados.  We’ve also enjoyed exploring several new Asian dishes this year.

Not only has dairy been an issue but recently beef has started producing some of the same problems.  I haven’t found much research or correlations between the two, so I’m curious if pregnancy or child birth caused any strange things for you?  Maybe after the birth of this next one things will reverse itself, until then it’s trying out new recipes for our family.

On a sort of related note, we watched Forks over Knives this past weekend, and it’s left us really thinking about what we eat, which is sort of ironic how the two things that cause me the most problems are things they recommend avoiding or consuming in very small quantities.


 The research is pretty amazing, both Marvin and I were shocked and this is coming from Kansas kids with families in the cattle industry.  It’s certainly controversial, and while we have not decided to embrace a vegan diet, we certainly have decided to make a few changes to our diet as a result of it.  I’d highly recommend it and would love to hear what you think of it.

No comments: