background

Friday, December 18, 2009

First Friend


Calvin’s a little observer and an introvert. I’ve been very curious to see how he’d adjust to a new culture. So far it’s been a little overwhelming to him. It’s new to hear mommy and daddy speak a new language and for others to speak to him and for him not to understand what they are saying. So far he’s coped by pretending he’s asleep the few times we’ve been in public and people have been making a fuss about him.

I am so proud of him though he has already learned how to say thank you, and he actually says it better than he does in English. Today we were playing and he gave me a toy and I said thank you in this language. Then he went back to coloring and he started jibber jabbering like I have never heard him do before. He came back over to me and said something to me in the same jibber jabber. I finally made the connection he was talking to me in our new language. I know what he feels because I thought this language sounded like jibber jabber when we first got here too.

He certainly does better with children. We had our friends Ute and May over for dinner and he loved their little girl. He wasn’t the least bit phased when they spoke to him in a different language. Today he was even talking about their little girl. I’m so thankful for a first little friend for him. We live very close to them and can’t wait for our future walks together.

3 comments:

Carrie said...

Oh my goodness Erika. That is so precious. I will make sure to remember that aspect of the move for him in my prs. I didn't even consider how strange that would be for a little boy! What a precious little man. I'm glad he has a little friend there, and I'm glad you get to be back with your good friends too. Love you guys!

Sarah said...

Its amazing how kids adjust to new situations! I love that he falls asleep when in public. :)

Marie said...

I agree with Carrie--the thought that a new language would be so strange to him never crossed my mind. I'm glad you guys are settling in. I'm sure you're doing a great job with him.