Friday, February 20, 2015

A Quick Trip

Calvin had a break from school this week so we decided to use this opportunity to travel to the capitol to renew his and Micah’s passports.  We tried to get a document notarized so that just Marvin could take them, but we were unsuccessful to find any place willing to do it.

So off we all went, of course it started as a rocky morning, Marvin had to go buy a new ink cartridge for the printer and, when he went to print off the forms he already filled out  he couldn’t find them anywhere on his computer, so he printed out blank forms and then we were off.  We picked up our teammate who would drive our car back home and 5 minutes later Judah threw up, we weren’t even out of their village.

Judah eventually fell asleep but not without getting sick again.  By the time we got to the airport he was hangry (hungry and angry).  Which made it extra fun going through security.  Thankfully it’s a small airport and we didn’t have much with us, so it wasn’t a production like it usually is.  I fed him his lunch then we boarded.  He got sick again on the plane, all over me.  (I forgot to take off his long sleeve shirt, so he was probably too hot, you would think I’d learn.)

We arrived later than planned but got on a train to head into the city, found a place to eat then made our way to our friends’ house where we were staying the night.

We’ve had a very mild winter and so when the boys stepped outside after we exited the metro and saw a wintry wonderland they were mesmerized and suddenly given a burst of energy.  (Really how can you stop a boy from crunching in the snow or trying to climb huge snow piles when they’ve barely seen any snow all winter long????)  It was a much longer walk to their place.

So we finally arrived at their place around 11:00 p.m.  Got them to sleep then got some sleep ourselves.  Knowing they had a late night, I wanted the boys to sleep as long as possible, to avoid some grumpy kids that day.  But in hindsight should have woken the up earlier.  So we were running late.  Thankfully our friend picked up us and drove us to the metro and saved us from trying to keep our boys on the sidewalk, walking and not playing in the snow.

Thankfully we made it to the embassy in time for our appointments.  Micah didn’t use the bathroom that morning so he was about to burst and Judah had a dirty diaper but we were there. Whew.

Of course we had to take out all electronic devices out of our bags.  I had a curling iron in my bag, so I’m sure the guy thought I was crazy when I pulled it out and added it to my cell phone and kindle.

It took about 2 hours at the embassy, much longer than we anticipated, but they had a waiting room with some toys for kids to play in off to the side, which made the time pass quickly.  So we spotted a Burger King nearby, and I took the older boys to eat lunch while Marvin met some friends to say hi with Judah since he was asleep in the Ergo.  We met back up and rushed to the metro and to the train station to catch the train to the airport.  By this time I was out of wipes, which means bad things when you have a child who gets motion sick easily. 

We boarded the train and I reluctantly fed Judah lunch.  He was starving.  Of course he started to get sick, thankfully I had a bag ready, so no need for wipes.  We narrowly escaped disaster.

Thankfully at the airport the kids’ room was open giving us an hour break.  It was much needed.

We went through security and I took the boys to the bathroom shortly before boarding, but what I didn’t notice was that Micah took his backpack to the bathroom and didn’t bring it out.  So when the announcement was made about boarding we discovered we had to run back to the bathroom to get the bag.

The flight went smoothly, both Micah and Judah slept the entire way.  Our friends were flying out that day so they left their car for us, but the battery wasn’t working on the key chain so we had to use the key to open the doors, which sets off the alarm any time you start the car or open the doors.  Fantastic end to a crazy trip.

Thankfully we made it home without being stopped at any checkpoints.

In bed that night Marvin and I wondered how we’d survive traveling with another one in this crazy mix of boys. Lord help us.

No comments: