background

Friday, April 18, 2008

Things that have rocked my world and things that haven't

We moved into our house 2 weeks ago and have almost unpacked all of our boxes!!! It feels so nice to have a home. After a couple of days of moving in our suitcases were empty and it has been nice not having to reach to the floor every time we needed something. We have been so loved by the fellowships next door. They brought us dinner when we moved in and several times that first week. It was such blessing to not have to cook that first week we moved. We forgot about a few things we had and were excited to flip through some old photo albums. We found our wedding album and we were so young when we got married. It's hard to believe that about 6 years ago I was in the midst of wedding planning. Time sure flies

Marvin was out of town this week and it was so good to see him yesterday. About 5:00 everyday Calvin and I wait for Marvin to get home. We had to find something else to do this week. Thankfully he has a 3 day weekend, so we get to enjoy him while he is home an extra day.

Since we have been back there have been a few things that have rocked my world. Most of them you probably never really think about, but they have encouraged my heart and provided some joy so here they go:

Cooking spray! I went to the grocery store for the first time after we moved to stock our kitchen and was thrilled to see cooking spray. It completely forgot about this marvelous invention. I have to tell you, I love not having to go through the mess of greasing a pan.

Aluminum Foil! It is so strong here and I even bought the keep stuff.

The Radio! It has added some diversity to my ears. I never knew how much I listened to the same play lists on our ipod until I started listening to the radio. A touch of a button will yield a new genre of songs. I love it.

Passport Free Travel! We can go somewhere and I don't have to be aware of where I put my passport.

CRUSHED ICE! Need I say more, we have now entered the world of ice in drinks. Honestly drinks are a little too cold for me sometimes but I love crushed ice, yum.

Calling friends and family on the same time zone! We no longer have to wake up before the sun rises or stay up late to call our family. Instead we have to wait until we have free minutes, ha!

Kansas! Many people underestimate our little state. It really is stunningly beautiful in the spring. If you have ever seen a sunset on the Flint Hills you can't disagree with me.

A Car! It makes shopping for groceries so much more convenient, however in a way I do miss public transportation. I went to Dillions yesterday and they even carried my groceries out to my car, I had forgotten about that service.

Garage Sales! Yesterday was my first day of going to garage sales and found some great toys for Calvin at great prices. I can't wait see what we can find at garage sales.

Washers & Dryers! I can wash and dry a load of laundry in the time it took me to wash one load. European washers do a much better job though, but I am thankful to get more done in less time.

Things I am not too excited about:
Produce. I miss the market, but we just heard about a farmer's market here in Wichita that is open every Saturday. I don't get why we wrap everything in plastic. I bought zucchini the other day and it they were individually wrapped in plastic wrap. Also all the organic stuff out there is kind of funny. I have a feeling people might be going over the top on this.

Car Seats. I am thankful that Calvin is safe in the car, but they are a PAIN, especially if you have to switch vehicles a lot. Plus we have a small car and in order to fit Calvin's car seat into our car we have to have the front seat pushed all the way up and the seat straight up. It is rather uncomfortable riding in the front seat, and honestly I prefer the back seat on long trips. Plus when Calvin is awake I can attempt to entertain him while he is restrained, something he isn't thrilled about. It will be nice when we can move his car seat to being forward facing but we have another 6 months to go before we can even think about it.

Electric stoves. I am thankful we have a stove, but miss a gas stove. It takes forever just to boil water, so I slowly getting used to a new way to cook.

Flip Flops! I love that I can already wear flip flops and nobody asks me if my feet are cold. Last year it was seriously 80 degrees and so I broke out my sandals and I had a million people comment on my feet, they were so worried that I would catch something. Especially those who knew I was pregnant.

Lastly here a few things I have had to adjust to:
Seeing people go out wearing "house clothes" (athletic pants and t-shirts). People only wear these things if they are around their house or in an athletic setting. The first time I saw someone I thought, oh my goodness they are wearing their pajamas out of the house and I was a little embarrassed for them. (Although I did see someone wearing pajamas.)

Writing Checks. We haven't had to do it for a couple of years because we lived in a cash society. I was nice not having to carry a huge wad of cash when we bought our car.

Wearing shoes inside people's homes. We went to a small group to have dinner and I was so uncomfortable the whole time because I had my shoes on, but everyone else did so I though we would really stick out if we went without them.

No comments: