background

Saturday, July 14, 2007

Almost our Backyard

Last week we were able to go with the FOCUS team to a mountainous region about an 1 hour and a half away from where we live. We couldn’t have asked for a more beautiful day, it was sunny and the temperature in the mountains was perfect. Our journey took us to the Blue Lakes, yes they are really blue, through a tunnel in the mountains, to the remains of a 13th century fortress located in the mountains, and we ended the day with a dip in some hot springs.

The entire drive the hills and mountains were breathtaking. The mountains in this region are jagged, rocky and many times include an insane incline. We saw a few cliffs that were literally just dropped off at 180 degrees. We also learned that the tunnel is new and we were able to walk on the old road on the side of the mountain, no guard rails just fear keeping you alert and attentive. I am very glad they build the tunnel; I think all of us would be a little nervous if we had to actually drive on this road.

The fortresses that we saw were build high on each side of the valley; enemies would be attacked from both sides of the valley. The holes in the towers were where they would shoot out of. This structure we assume is an old barracks as it is located right next to the tower. It is pretty cool to see how the walls are still in tact and we had fun imagining who lived there. You can see that there are a lot of rocks on multiple levels of this hill; we are assuming that there were multiple story buildings all along this hillside (our architecture student pointed this out.)

As you can see it was quite a hike up to this tower, and believe it or not I made it all the way up to the tower and was one of the first people to do so! (This was all thanks to my amazing husband who found an easier route up this hill.) After we started our ascend, the thought accured to me that this would probably be against all doctors orders, but we made it safely. The funny part is I actually tripped when we were on smooth ground, nothing was in my path I just fell right on my knee. I was pretty bummed because I ripped my jeans. Go figure I find a way to injure myself walking like normal! Well at least I only landed on my knee, PTL. It was a great trip and we are thankful to be reminded of the beauty that surrounds us.

First we had to cross the river on an old rusty bridge and we began to make our way up to the tower.
Marvin couldn't resist taking a few river shots.

The Accend

This little structure was right next to the tower, You can still see divided room.

Close up on Tower #1

Tower #2

View from Tower #2 The other side of the valley

Checking out the View at the Blue Lakes after our picnic lunch.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Erica! Forget the scenery...You look so beautiful! Your belly is just so cute. I wish I could see you in person! :)
--Carmen