background

Saturday, February 03, 2007

Latest Pastime

My grandmother taught me how to crochet right before we left the states and shortly after arriving here this hobby got pushed aside by the craziness of life, and the fact that I wasn’t very good. I made a few pot holders before we made it to Nineveh that turned out to be trapezoids instead of squares. The scarf I made took on a circular shape, but I didn’t give up. I found some incredibly soft yarn in Turkey and decided I wanted to make a blanket, that project disapated quickly. A couple of weeks ago I was cleaning out a cabinet and found the yarn and decided it was finally time to master crocheting. I started out better than last year and I have actually figured out why I was making trapezoids and circular shapes. But I quickly learned that if I was going to make a blanket I would need more than 4 sheaves of yarn, so it was off to a market in town that sells knitted and crocheted items as well as yarn. They sell the yarn in these loose huge bunches and they sell it by the kilogram, for half a kilo I only paid $2.00! Now I got home and was pretty excited about adding my new colors so what did I do? I found the end to the yarn and start yanking away, and quickly came up with a knotted mess. This is where my new pastime started. 6 hours later I had a nice ball of yarn ready to crochet with! Now it get’s even better because I bought two of these huge bunches and I knew there must be an easier way to do this. It was sitting on the table and Marvin was sitting down ready to study and he decided he was going to figure it out; it took him 5 minutes to discover that if you just lay the bunch on a table and make a doughnut shape you can make a ball of yarn in no time.
This yarn experience tells a lot about our personalities, I tend to get a little excited and I just dive right into things and get started, where Marvin is a little more observant and carefully plans things out before he begins something. I guess there is a time and place for both, I only wish I hadn’t spend 6 hours of my free time this week untangling yarn.

No comments: