background

Friday, September 16, 2011

My current favorite veggie


Growing up I don't ever remember a time where I actually ate eggplant. The first time I ever tasted this vegetable was at Olive Garden and it had me at hello. For some reason I just love this vegetable, maybe it's the intriguing purple color or the deep nutty flavor. I've had so many yummy Turkish eggplant dishes over the years, but haven't recreated them myself. So cooking with eggplant is new terrain. A month ago I discovered this amazing roasted vegetable dip/sauce. It's so delicious, and it's ridiculously easy.


Here's my take on my current obsession: (Warning, if you want a real recipe you might as well stop reading, this is a "throw this and that in" type of recipe. Sorry mom.)


You'll need a 9x13 pyrex, or something with decent sides.


Here it goes…


Roasted Veggie Dip/Sauce
Peel a few eggplants, I usually do about 3-4 medium ones.
Now cube the eggplant.
Wedge a few tomatoes(2-3),
Dice up a red bell pepper or two,
Add about 4-5 whole cloves of garlic,
And drizzle with olive oil.
**If you love spice why not add a cut up spicy pepper to the pan to give this some kick.


Stir the oil around your veggies
Pop it in the oven, let's say at 350 degrees.
After about 15 minutes give it a good stir.
Add some more olive oil if you feel it's dry.


Let it roast another 15 minutes in the oven.
If your eggplant is nice and soft it's done, if it's still hard roast it longer.


Toss all your delicious roasted veggies into a pot; add a little tomato paste (maybe ¼ c.) and using an immersion blender and blend away. You could also use your blender or food processor. Add salt to taste and enjoy.


It's great over bread, over pasta or rice. We even put it over the roast I made last week. I love it and hope you do too.

2 comments:

Carmen said...

Thanks for sharing, Erica! I just made my grocery list and included ingredients for this. Looking forward to trying it!

Michelle said...

I made this tonight to go with hummus, cut up veggies, and the Ramazan pidesi...we loved it. I may put in some zucchini next time. Thanks for the recipe!