background

Thursday, November 12, 2009

What's it worth to ya?

My my, I forgot how much I dislike packing. I can pull together a weekend bag in a snap, but when it comes to moving half way around the world with only a few suitcases that's where I start to get a little frazzled. I had a little melt down over my sugar, tea and coffee containers. They just didn't make the cut. I know we can get that kind of stuff there, but I really loved them.

We're trying to thin our bags at this point and man is that a tough thing to do. We're making the hard calls right now, today I pulled the Velveeta because what good is Velveeta without any chips. I talked to the airline and we get 6 free bags between the three of us. Every bag after that is $250 each, plus another couple hundred a piece for our second leg of our trip. Thankfully we're graciously given the funds to compensate for that. It's given a better direction to our packing. It makes us evaluate how valuable each item is in our suitcase. So what would you take? I'm curious!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I worked at a camp once that focused on experiencing life in a third world country. They had a simulated third world village built out in the boonies and for 24 hours each group of campers had to live and work like a third world person would. The only things we were allowed to pack was 1.blanket 2. Bible (of course, us counselors got to take a few extra things!). All of our other necessities we bartered for when we got to the villiage. Now, that is a little drastic for your situation (obviously!) but it really helped we realized how much I DON'T need! It was a very valuable lesson!

Erica said...

Amanda that is a great reminder. I've often stopped and paused while we are packing and wondered where my heart is in all this. It's hard to get wrapped up in bringing our stuff. We've reminded our selfs several times that we can take all this stuff but we must take them with our hands and not our hearts.

I will say that living in another country is hard. Thankfully we have a God who sustains us in those times, but it sure is comforting to have a few comforts from America.