background

Monday, April 10, 2006

Erica's Language Helper

Since we have arrived we have frequented a store that sells everything you need for your home. The family that runs the store and the girls that work there make us feel so welcome every time we go into the store, so I decided to ask the owner if she could be my language helper. (It is ideal to have someone who doesn't speak English so it pushes you to learn.) So through translation via cell phone she decides that since she doesn't know English so she can't help me, but her niece can. So she calls her niece and tells her that she needs to help me. So I talk to her niece, get her phone number and I tell her I will call her about a day we can get together. So after this ordeal, we sit down for tea at the store, and the owner is helping me say the words of my lesson, and then she starts saying something that involved the words you, telephone, and go by car. When she asks me if I understand, I say I a little. I thought she was saying I can call her and then I can go over to her house. But apparently it was a question because she stands up puts her coat on and tells me to it is time to go to the Route Van. This is the point where I put it all together and learn we are going right now to her niece’s house. So what do I do, I get in a route van that I have no idea where it is going or how I will get back home and go meet her niece. During this 20 minute ride the lady is graciously helping me pronounce all the words on my paper, while everyone on the route van stares at the foreigner.

In the end her niece is very nice and we have a lot in common. She is having a rest from work right now so hopefully the niece can convince her aunt to help me when she has to go back to work.

No comments: