background

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Oh the Places We Go

It's been an interesting week at our place. Marvin's dad went in for a heart Cath last Wednesday and found out he needed quadruple bypass surgery and a valve replaced. So the next day he went in for surgery. It's amazing what doctors are able to do, I'm so thankful for the skills of surgeons. All went well and his dad is recovering at home. Marvin made the drive for the surgery and then came back home to work on Friday. We all drove up to Lincoln on Saturday, stayed the night and then stopped in BR for a while before we headed home. It was a great time with family and was good to see Marvin's dad laughing and enjoying his family. I'm so thankful for the family I married into, I couldn't have asked for a better family. Calvin had a blast playing with his cousins and seeing grandpa and grandma. It's pretty fun to see how much he loves them and remembers them. Yesterday we were looking at a picture of his cousins taken last summer (before his new cousin was born) and he said "Baby, Go?" When translated he means, "where's my baby cousin?" Even though he hasn't really paid much attention to her, she's made an impression on him.

On Saturday we were able to go to Yoder, an Amish community near Wichita. They were having a festival and it is certainly a place we would like to go back to. I was drooling over the fabric in the fabric store, unfortunately most of them were out of my price range. Marvin and I are both intrigued by Amish life. I however could never do it, but there is something to be said about living a simple life. Seeing this little community made me ponder this question a lot more recently: How do we live in the world but not a part of the world?

I had to add this picture in here because it was Calvin's first pudding pop. He loved it and ate every last bit of it. He's been into using a napkin recently and as you can tell he's very good at smearing everything across his face as oppose to cleaning his face with it. He's a pro at using a cup now, but still begs for his sippy cup. It's hard to believe he's going to be 2 in a month and a half. He's not my baby any longer, I'm enjoying him as he grows even if it is faster than I want him to.


1 comment:

Amanda said...

In John and my pursuit to find a church, we've visited several Amish homes and churches. We, too, appreciate their plain and simple lifestyle. There is something about stripping away all of the unnecessary that brings you closer to God. Maybe it's less things to draw our attention away from God? It's definitely a beautiful thing to see though!